Windows 10 KB4557957, the latest Patch Tuesday update fails to install on PCs?
UPDATES FAILED, THERE WERE PROBLEMS INSTALLING SOME UPDATES, BUT WE’LL TRY AGAIN LATER “OR” ERROR 0X80073701 “IN THE WINDOWS UPDATE DIALOG OR UPDATE HISTORY,”
If you encounter problems while installing Windows 10 from cumulative updates ” Windows installation failed ” or stuck installing here, we have prepared a list of possible solutions that can help resolve the problem.
windows 10 updates do not install
Let’s start with the basics, check and make sure you have an internet connection to download windows update files from the Microsoft server.
Sometimes windows update can crash or cant apply to the latest updates due to interference from third-party antivirus software. It allows us to temporarily disable your antivirus and also to disconnect from the VPN (if configured on your system) and check if the problem persists.
After restarting the PC / Windows 10 and check for windows updates again, it probably fixes the problem if it temporarily fails which is causing the problem.
Windows update troubleshooting
Windows 10 comes with a handy Windows Update troubleshooting problem that can help you automatically troubleshoot and fix problems with Windows Update. Run the windows update troubleshooter, and let windows detect and fix problems preventing the windows update from installing.
- Press the Windows key I to open Settings,
- Click security update and then Troubleshoot,
- Click on the “Additional troubleshooting” link
- Select Windows update, then click Run troubleshooting.
This will start to diagnose, check the problem that prevents windows update from installing. In addition, troubleshooting allows you to find out if the problem can be identified and corrected. Once this is done, restart your PC and check the windows update again.
Reset windows update components
Sometimes Windows 10 Update may fail to install or stuck downloading on your PC because its components are damaged. These windows update components include services and temporary files and folders associated with Windows Update. And most of the time resetting the windows update components resolves the number of problems/errors with the windows update.
To do this we first need to stop the windows update service:
- Press the Windows key R, type services.master and click ok,
- Scroll down and locate the windows update service, right-click on it, choose to stop.
Allows you to clean up temporary files and folders associated with Windows Update.
- Open the file explorer using the Windows E key,
- Browse C: WindowsSoftwareDistributionDownload
- Delete all files and folders inside the download folder, to do this use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl a to select all press the delete key.
Note: don’t worry about these files, download the freshest windows update, when next time checks for updates.
Now again, open windows using the service console services.msc and start the windows update service.
Run the DISM command
It is also possible that Windows Update cannot work because of corrupted files on your operating system. here, the trick can help solve the problem.
- Open the command prompt as an administrator,
- Type the command o dism/online/cleanup-image/startcomponentcleanup and press enterkey,
- Wait a few minutes and let the scanning process complete and restart windows.
- Now check again for updates.
Change Google DNS
If the windows update failure with different public switching DNS error codes or Google DNS probably helps to solve the problem.
- Press Windows R, type ncpa.control panel and click ok,
- Right-click on the active network adapter, select properties,
- Select Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP / IPv4), then click properties,
- Select the radio button “Use the following DNS server addresses” and define the preferred DNS server: 126.96.36.199 and Alternative DNS server: 188.8.131.52
- Checkmark in Validate Settings when exiting, click ok, and apply
- Now check again for updates.
Manually install windows update
Still, can’t Windows Update help you download certain system updates? Try to do this on your own. Microsoft has put its entire update system online, and you can download these updates and install them on your computer, without the help of Windows Update.
- In your web browser, visit Microsoft Update Catalog.
- Search for the update using your Knowledge Base reference number (KB number). For example, KB4557957.
- Click the Download button for the version of Windows 10 you are using.
- You can find your system configuration under “System type” in Settings> System> About page.
- A pop-up window will appear after the download button is triggered.
- Click on the .msu file to download.
Finally, double click on a .msu file to manually install the update manually and from a system, it is necessary to restart the computer to complete the installation.
If you are having Windows 10 version 2004 update issue or Windows 10 update feature fails to install, then you can perform an in-place upgrade to Windows 10 version 2004, with the Media Creation Tool or the Tool Update Wizard.