The LCD screen on your Compaq Presario laptop may be perfectly visible when you’re in a well-lit indoor area, but if you’ve ever tried to use your laptop outdoors or in an area without good lighting you’ll notice the screen is much harder to see. The Presario line of laptops includes a built-in feature to adjust screen brightness. If you want your screen brighter or dimmer, you just need to tap a key combination.
How to Adjust Screen Brightness on a Compaq Presario Laptop
- Press the Fn key on the lower-left end of the Compaq Presario keyboard. Hold down the button and press the F7 key to decrease the screen brightness by one step.
- Tap the F7 key again with the Fn key still pressed to further decrease the brightness by one step. Keep pressing the F7 key until you reach the minimum brightness of the LCD screen.
- Hold down the Fn key and press the F8 key to brighten the Presario’s LCD screen by one step. Keep pressing the F8 key until you reach the maximum brightness for your screen.
Tips & warnings
- the “F7” key on your Compaq Presario has a small image of a sun with a down arrow to let you know it is the “dim the brightness” key, while the “F8” key has a small image of a sun with an Up arrow.
- Your Compaq Presario laptop includes pre-set power saving options that automatically reduce screen brightness. Open the “Start” menu and type “Power Plan” in the “Search” box. Click on the icon and select the “Choose a power plan” option. Click “Power Saver” if you want to decrease screen brightness, or “High performance” to increase screen brightness.
Increasing the screen brightness uses additional battery power, so your laptop will need to be plugged into a wall outlet sooner if you keep the brightest setting on for an extended period of time.