Welcome to the Runelord basic strat (please play the tutorial if you feel left alone on how to place a castle or road).
Runelord Basic Strategy Guide
First of all, this will be a straight Tactic. It’s about a strong economy and Castle Spam before Wave 1 hits. It’s about Winning all Waves before Wave 1 (sometimes Wave 2) hits, so expect to play pause mode only.
You can do way more and different, it’s not perfect, but it will help you reach act 3 with E.Z.
Starting with Common Cards
- Once you start a round, you can choose between 3 starting buffs.
- Common Cards will give you a good advantage in growing big fast.
- Runelord is about growing big with a strong economy and an op castle.
What Do I Pic?
- Castle Heart
- Militia (Not Spearmen)
- Straight Road
- Rune of Gust (Speed)
- Single Wall
What Do I Not Pic?
- Castle parts
- Runes that you already have
- Curved Road
- Expensive stuff that you don’t need early
1-2 Extra Farmlands (or upgraded later) are Key in this game; once your cards are used up all their uses, the Farmland stays and provides you tons of gold while you have to spam it and watch your delayed gold grow.
Castle Heart is a cheap and promising way to boost your max gold and also provides you with four open sides, a core point for a good castle that goes around corners. More about the castle building later.
Extra Militia is not a must-have but is very effective first; you will encounter many Vaults that want you to spawn 3 Milita camps; it’s sad when you do this before reaching the vault and end up not getting the reward. Also, extra Milita early is an excellent way to Deathgrow your Runes. More about Deathgrow later.
Rune of Gust | Attack Speed Rune is a must-have and can be achieved before the game starts. Not much to say about it; a Deathgrow rune boosts your attack speed and is the only reasonable way to increase your speed (If you get the Earth / H.P. Rune, it’s also perfect).
What if I don’t get any of these cards?
Pic Village, Roadtiles like Smithy, Mine or Lumberjack, or Single Wall only if you can see pic on of the cards above. These cards will also help you but will be only supported, not the core part! If you get any stupid cards now, it’s your fault. Also, it’s the first Mission. If you want the same cards, restart before wasting time.
Act I – I
Welcome to the first Mission
- Check where your Vaults are.
- The Direction of the Vault says in which way ALL your roads will go.
- But Dad, why do I build all my roads this way when I start with a Crossroad?
- Because your Castle will and has to expand around your H.Q.
So the Gods have spoken; the west part of the Map will be the Farmland!
Also, start Building left and right next to your H.Q. single walls, like in the picture above.
Looks like a Big Skip, but it isn’t.
- Left and right side of H.Q. single wall.
- The left side has a diagonal wall to a connector wall right behind the H.Q.
- The right side of the H.Q. single fence is connected to a Castle (or any other four-side open Tile like the Guilds: Sniper Trade).
- On the East side of the Castle is another diagonal wall facing down and opens us more connecting points to expand later.
All we have to do now is to place the connector walls into the gaps, and our big Castle will grow.
Meanwhile, you raise your roads west (or the direction you had to go) and build farmlands, villages, and more Farmland.
Now you stack your Runes into the Castle and expand it as well as your Farmland. Once your Castle reaches 50 Dmg, you win the first Mission.
Congratz on Winning the First Round
Deathgrow & Runes
Runes like Fire (Dmg), Wind (Speed), and Earth (H.P.) have four uses and will not expire once they are used; they will upgrade to the next tier, granting more enormous buff for a higher price.
The wind rune is a must-have for the late game; it’s the only reasonable way to boost your attack speed.
The earth Rune is a must-have to boost your castle hp to a crazy never dieing amount (Also, you can use this Rune to replenish your destroyed castle or infantry camps while the wave is going on)
How to use runes early till they deathgrow?
- Build Militia Camps and stack your first runes on them to Deathgrow.
- Build small 1×2 – 1×3 Castles to stack the first runes.
Why not spam them just on Castle early?
Because you will block your castle rune spots with low-tier runes before they upgrade themself, I don’t say I don’t put any low tier into your Castle, but don’t fill it up to the limit with it.
This can be fatal in the late game, and if you have the chance to learn to avoid this mistake from the beginning, you will thank me later
Useful Runes for Later
If you have one big Castle that expands step by step, a Vampire rune is a crazy boost!
If you have no castle heart, this bad boy gives you an excellent solution to the gold cap.
Midas.. this Rune makes you immortal because you will see your Castle generates gold while fighting the wave.. and we don’t talk about 1-5 Gold, we talk about 25-50 Gold on many segments of the Castle it’s crazy how hard this can stack once you upgrade it.
Common Beginner Mistakes
- Crossroads are more confusing than helping; same for Crossroad Wall.
- Your hand should only move between Spacebar and the 3x Speed button (3).
- It would help if you played more in pause.
- Most cards sound fun but don’t fit you.
- Don’t take too many Castle parts as a reward if your economy is dying.
- The same goes for Castle enchantments like Bombtowers or Poison.
- Not building big enough, same for farmlands.
- Reroll too often while you can plan and place some castle parts to keep shuffling the deck.
- Waiting too long for early gold, then using rerolls.
- Farmland doesn’t need a road, any road between is just extra gold.
- Don’t be scared to waste a village early to close a short road for extra gold. Just remember that once your cards are out of use, your deck will be much smaller, and you can spam Farmlands.
- Upgrade your Farmlands.
- One long road is enough to spam Lords Share on it.